Monday, January 14, 2013

Four & Twenty Blackbirds

What a great find. In the Gowanus section of Brooklyn, on a commercial busy 3rd Ave block, lies this adorable bakery / coffee shop / pie place. There's free Wifi, a nice selection of coffee, tea, and apple cider, small bites, and freaking UNBELIEVABLE pie. 
There are communal tables, and when I stopped by solo the other day, there was a ton of young hip looking people, working on their laptops, studying, reading, and just hanging. I grabbed a hot apple cider and sat down to blog. I ordered an Egg in a Hole, which tasted like a yummy biscuit with a scrambled egg cooked into it. I also got the special with was Chives, Cream cheese, and delicious Smoked Salmon on a freshly baked roll. Wow. I will definitely be back here soon.




Even though i was busting at this point I couldn't leave without trying what they are most famous for -- PIE. The choices the other day were salted caramel apple, cranberry sage, salty honey, and malted chocolate pecan. I was told the salted caramel was probably the most popular so I went for a slice of that one, and WOW. The crust was crispy and the caramel and apples were nice and sweet and the sea salt added the perfect balance. My initial plan was to take a bite and bring the rest home to the fam, but I'm embarrassed to say there really was not much left to bring home. YUMMM. 
Go check this place out. Great atmosphere, friendly people, and pie that lives up to the hype. I know I will definitely be back. 




Neighborhood: Gowanus, Brooklyn 

Bite Mark: ****

Good For: Hanging Out, Coffee & a Lite Bite, PIE

Four & Twenty Blackbirds, 439 3rd Ave at 8th Street, Brooklyn. 718-499-2917 www.birdsblack.com

No comments:

Post a Comment