Thursday, December 13, 2012

The Breslin Bar & Dining Room

I've been to The Breslin a number of times, and even though I almost always come for lunch and almost always order the same few things, everything is always SO FREAKIN DELICIOUS.

The Breslin is a great spot in the Ace Hotel, which also houses The John Dory, Sumptown Coffee, and No7 Sub. Early, late, or in between, it's always packed. It's the best option around should you find yourself near the Garment District and craving some good eats. I tend to always choose trying a new spot over going somewhere I've already been (even if it's good), so the fact that I've been here on a number of occasions and keep coming back should tell you something.

On a cold Tuesday afternoon, I stopped in to meet my brother for a nice lunch. The place is kind of dark, and there's pictures of pig's everywhere (but don't let that fool you non meat eaters -- the veggies and other vegetarian options are also delicious!)  I grabbed my brother's arm, as I noticed right in front of me speaking to the hostess was none other than Francis McDormand. Love her. That's just the kind of place this is. Celebs come under the radar, not because it's a scene-y place, but because it's cool and casual and because April Bloomfield's (The Spotted Pig, The John Dory) food is off the hook.

There was no tables available and we didn't feel like waiting so we grabbed 2 seats at the bar, and ordered Bloody Mary's from the unfriendly bartender. Not sure what we did to tick him off, but we tried to not let it bother an otherwise pleasant experience.

Now for the food. The Herbed Caesar Salad with anchovy croutons is the best caesar salad I've ever had, ever. I can't even tell you what makes it so spectacular, but trust me, it's worth a trip here just for this one item. I've also gotten the caramel popcorn and spiced almonds in the "snacks" section of the menu and they are also really good. The other "can't miss" item on the menu is the Baked 3 Cheese Sandwich with onion marmalade and mustard. WOW. Crispy outside, gooey and cheesy inside, and the marmalade and the spicy mustard go perfect with it. We also got the Fish & Chips, which actually comes with fries, not chips. The fish was good, though not on the salad or grilled cheese level, but the fries are really really good. It's worth it, trust me.

 I once sat with a friend who ordered the Chargrilled Lamb Burger,  and I just have to say for someone who doesn't easily get enticed by burgers, this one certainly did the trick. I must have seen 6 orders come out for that same burger, so I'm thinking there must something special to it.

The Breslin is a great place. Good atmosphere. Good service. Mix of young hip people, businessmen, and the occasional celeb. Grab a seat by the bar on a random afternoon, or go for an early or late dinner and enjoy the delicious food that comes out of this kitchen.


Neighborhood: Garment District

Good For: Lunch, Business Meal, Celeb Sightings

Bite Mark: *** and a half

The Breslin Bar & Dining Room; 20 West 29th Street Between 5th Ave & Broadway 212-679-1939 www.thebreslin.com

No comments:

Post a Comment